Getting engaged is a huge step in any relationship, and for many, buying an engagement is one of your first big luxury purchases. For your dream proposal, there's a lot riding on the ring. Here are a few questions you should ask as you begin to shop around.
- What is your budget? Establishing your budget before you go out will prevent upselling or confusion with your jeweler. Be clear, right out the gate about your budget so that you can get on with the important business of finding the perfect ring for you!
- What is your significant other's style and current ring size? What kind of jewelry/ metals does she already wear all the time? Was there a celebrity ring she mentioned she really liked?
- Do I know the 4Cs? Once you start shopping for a diamond engagement ring, every seller will be touting the 4Cs, if you have a passing knowledge of what gives a diamond value, and are aware of the jargon, this will go a long way to improving the conversations you have with jewelers. Read more about the 4Cs here.
- Now that you know the basics of the 4Cs, ask if there is an official grading report for the diamond in your ring. Typically grades can come from organizations like the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) or other such organization. You might also ask for verification of conflict-free status/ origins. Note that all of our diamond vendors are Kimberley Process compliant. Read more about our Business + Production Ethics here.
- If you are crunched for time, ask for readymade or ready-to-ship offerings. At the very most you'll need a few days to re-size but the wait shouldn't be too long. If you have more time, you can explore special order and customizations.
- Ask about the properties of the metal used for the setting of your ring. There are differences between Platinum and White Gold, for example that should not be overlooked. For a quick primer click here.
- Ask about payment plans or financing, if needed.
- Ask about warranty and exchange policy, if you're winging it on picking a ring and don't feel like you have enough background from your significant other for a surprise engagement.
- Will they do or coordinate an appraisal for insurance? If not they can connect you with an appraiser who can.
- Ask if the ring can be modified and what any limitations might be in case your significant other wants to adjust the ring over time, or make customizations.
- How do I take care of the ring? As your jeweler for cleaning and care tips. Here's a quick guide to get you started.
Questions Jewelers Will Ask You
Here are the top questions that jewelers will ask you, if you want to start thinking about how you might reply. (Source: GIA)
1. Did you just start engagement ring shopping?
2. When do you plan to propose?
3. What is your engagement ring budget?
4. Are you familiar with the 4Cs of diamond quality?
5. Does she want a round brilliant or a fancy shape diamond?
6. What’s her ring style?
7. What color gold does she like?
8. What’s her ring size?
For more information on each question, visit GIA.edu
Explore other FAQs right here
Shop our handmade, ethical inventory here